The Better Foliage Mod is a rather lovely Forge mod that enhances the environment with a few simple additions to existing assets.
Better Foliage is a bit of a misnomer because it affects more than just the game’s plants and trees. It’s client-only, but is worth installing at least once for the richness and depth it adds to the environment. From intricate coral in deep water to spooky rising souls from Soul Sand, this mod adds all sorts of little extras that add an incredible amount of depth. This mod also does not intrude on the game’s original style, meaning Minecraft will still look like Minecraft.
The mod also has the dual purpose of making special blocks a bit easier to find with making them completely obvious for those who still want the challenge of finding them. For example, the rising souls can go quite high and move in a spiral pattern, making them easier to spot. If you want to adjust any of the mod’s settings in-game, press F8 and go to town. You may need to do this if something like the rising souls affects your system’s performance.
Otherwise, the environment looks much fuller and livelier with this mod, adding a surprising amount of realism with only a few minor tweaks and additions. You will need the most recent version of Forge to run this mod, so be sure to update it before installing. This mod also plays well with other shader mods, Optifine and Colored Lights Core, among other similar mods, but may require the Better Grass and Leaves mod.
- Applies wind effects to all applicable blocks of the same type
- Adds extra leaves to trees at 45 degree angles for a fuller look
- Lengthens grass and Mycelium slightly to add density
- Turns logs into octagons rather than rectangles for a rounder look
- Adds falling leaf particles from trees’ leaf blocks
- Adds “rising souls” from Soul Sand
- Adds the ability to modify block types and much more
The game turns out much more atmospheric and alive with Better Foliage, making the game feel much less artificial or empty. This mod adds some very nice aesthetics that prove that Minecraft can be a bit more realistic without breaking from the game’s overall style and is definitely worth trying.
How to install:
- Please make sure you have Minecraft Forge installed.
- Download your version of the Better Foliage Mod from below.
- Find the minecraft application folder.
- Windows: Open the Start Menu and go to Run. Type %appdata% and click Run.
- Mac: Open finder. While holding down ALT, click Go. Then on Library in the top menu bar. Now open the folder "Application Support" and look for minecraft.
- Open the "mods" folder.
- Put the downloaded file (.jar file) into the mods folder.
- Now start Minecraft. Click the mods button.
- Congatulations! You should now see your brand new installed mod.
Downloads for Better Foliage Mod 1.12.2, 1.11.2, 1.10.2
|... for Minecraft 1.12.2 →|
| Download for 1.12.2
|... for Minecraft 1.11.2 →|
| Download for 1.11.2
|... for Minecraft 1.10.2 →|
| Download for 1.10.2
|... for Minecraft 1.9.4 →|
| Download for 1.9.4
|... for Minecraft 1.8.9 →|
| Download for 1.8.9
|... for Minecraft 1.8 →|
| Download for 1.8
|... for Minecraft 1.7.10 →|
| Download for 1.7.10